Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Rocket Cat

Wanting to further explore the medium of "t-shirt," I created a custom design for my friend as a thank-you gift for letting me have a photo shoot in his apartment.

I call this design, "Rocket Cat." I drew the stencil onto a piece of cardboard and cut it out with a swiss army knife (because I couldn't find my exacto). Then I bought some fabric paint (yellow and orange), and an American Apparel "summer shirt," in a nice, gray-ish turquoise.

For several weeks, I ran around the apartment singing, "ROCKET CAT!" to the tune of Elton John's "Rocket Man," and finally, today, I painted the design onto the shirt. I was so thrilled with it, that I picked up the extra fabric paint I had bought just because I liked the color (magenta), and immediately started on a t-shirt of my own.

"'Cause I'm a rocket cat. Rocket cat!"

No comments: